Politics and International Relations

04
Apr

Professor Ngaire Woods on latest efforts to contain Eurozone troubles

Posted: 04 Apr 2012


Image from http://www.flickr.com/photos/eagleglide/ (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

Ngaire Woods discussed the decision of European finance ministers to raise the limits of the bailout funds available to troubled Eurozone economies to contain the fiscal crisis on BBC Radio 4's 'Today' programme (31 March).  She also continued the discussion in 'On the Money' on BBC Radio 5 (1 April).

Diagnosing the temporary respite from the crisis while talking on the 'Today' programme, Ngaire said “Europe’s been living on pain relief for the last few months, and that pain relief has been the European Central Bank pumping a trillion euros in the banking system of the European Union states.”  Now that the pressure to stop this pain relief is building, the sense of crisis is also coming back.

Ngaire noted that the long term nature of the structural reforms currently being carried out in some Eurozone countries, and the immediate demands of the markets, require some kind of stimulus for the economies to grow in order to close the gap.  The focus on austerity may therefore be the wrong focus now that the pain relief is stopping.

Ngaire explained how the problems of immediate crisis management and longer term growth plans are coming back on the table.

In 'On the Money' Ngaire also discussed the vexing problem of the consumer bubble that caused the crisis and the consumer confidence necessary to overcome the crisis.

The full 'Today' programme can be heard here, and 'On The Money' show can be heard here.

Professor Ngaire Woods is Professor of International Political Economy, Director of the Global Economic Governance Programme, University College, Dean of the Blavatnik School of Government



Recent news

28
Jan

Dr Elias Dinas comments on new Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras

Posted: 28/01/2015

Elias Dinas was interviewed for the Spanish radio network Cadena SER (25 January) on the recent election of the Greek SYRIZA party and its leader, Alexis Tsipras.

Read full story


23
Jan

Paper by Dr Petra Schleiter and Valerie Belu makes front page of the Guardian online news

Posted: 23/01/2015

An article based primarily on research by Petra Schleiter and Valerie Belu and entitled 'Parties warned over repercussions of hung parliament after general election' has been published in the Guardian (19 January).

Read full story


22
Jan

Dr Gwendolyn Sasse comments on whether Russia will escalate its conflict with Ukraine

Posted: 22/01/2015

Gwendolyn Sasse has written for 'Judy Dempsey's Strategic Europe' (21 January) as part of Carnegie Europe online, in a piece asking the question: Will Russia Escalate in Ukraine and Beyond?

Read full story


20
Jan

Dr Nic Cheeseman on the world's richest 1% being set to overtake the rest

Posted: 20/01/2015

Yesterday, Nic Cheeseman co-hosted the Rising Inequality in the Global South: Practice and Solutions Symposium with Winnie Byanyima, Executive Director of Oxfam International at St Antony’s College, University of Oxford (organized by OXFAM and Dr Miles Larmer of St Antony's).

The conclusions of this symposium, such as the fact that the world's richest 1% are set to own more than the other 99% combined, have caused headlines around the world.  (You can read examples in the Guardian and the Daily Mail.)

Read full story


12
Jan

Professor Walter Mattli receives John Fell OUP Research Fund award

Posted: 12/01/2015

Congratulations to Walter Mattli, who has received a generous John Fell OUP Research Fund award in support of a major new research project on the infrastructure (or plumbing) and governance of international capital markets.

Read full story



View All News

 
You are here: Home News & Media News