The EUK@ox group was created by Paul Flather in 2014 to bring together people at Oxford interested in the UK in the EU debate. The network includes the Europeaum, DPIR, European Studies Centre, Maison Francaise d’Oxford, the Law School, and the Social Policy Department.
To provoke serious debate, in an academic, cross-disciplinary, environment in Oxford, that adds value to wider debates on the UK’s relationship with the European Union, through a series of seminars, workshops, lectures, running from autumn 2014 to 2017 – the time of the proposed referendum on UK membership. Each event will usually focus on a specified theme, with one speaker from the UK and at least one from elsewhere in Europe, to give contrasting perspectives.
Current coordinating committee members are:
- Paul Flather (Secretary–General of the Europaeum)
- Othon Anastasakis (Director, St Antony’s South East European Studies at Oxford (SEESOX), University of Oxford)
- Cathryn Costello (Andrew W. Mellon Associate Professor in International Human Rights and Refugee Law, University of Oxford)
- Pavlos Eleftheriadis (Associate Professor of Law, University of Oxford)
- Timothy Garton Ash (Professor of European Studies, University of Oxford)
- Hartmut Mayer (Lecturer in Politics (International Relations), St Peters College, University of Oxford)
- Anand Menon (Professor of European Politics and Foreign Affairs, King's College London)
- Kalypso Nicolaidis (Professor of International Relations, University of Oxford)
- Jonathan Scheele (SEESOX Research Associate, University of Oxford)
- Martin Seeleib-Kaiser (Barnett Professor of Comparative Social Policy and Politics, University of Oxford)
- Anne Simonin (Director of the Maison Française d’Oxford)
- Stephen Weatherill (Jacques Delors Professor of European Law, University of Oxford)
- Jan Zielonka (Professor of European Politics, University of Oxford)
May 13th 2015 –Whither the UK in Europe Now? — A Post-Election Review
Speakers included Professor Kalypso Nicolaïdis, Professor Anand Menon, Sir Daivd Butler, and Dr Stuart White, chaired by Jonathan Scheele
Convenors: The EUK@Ox cluster, led by the European Studies Centre
April 27th 2015 — Migrants, Citizens, Movers: Europe’s Great Debate?
Speakers included Lord (Andrew) Greene, Professor Martin Seeleib-Kaiser, Euro-Commissioner László Andor, and Sarah Spencer. Chairs: Hartmut Mayer and Paul Flather
Convenors: The EUK@Ox cluster, led by the Oxford Institute of Social Policy.
February 16th 2015 - European Rights, Human Rights: Convergence or Dissonance?
Speakers included Baroness (Helena) Kennedy (Oxford, former member of the Cameron Commission on Human Rights); Dr Michael Pinto-Duschinsky; Martin Howe QC; Sir Stephen Sedley; Professor Stephen Weatherill; Dr Cathryn Costello; Sir Francis Jacobs; Dr Michal Bobek; Dr Antonios Tzanakopoulos; and Dr Pavlos Eleftheriadis.
Convenors: EUK@Ox cluster, led by the IECL and Europaeum
February 5th 2015 - Does the Brussels “Eurocrat” Still Matter?
Afternoon Workshop and Debate at the Maison Française d’Oxford.
Participants included David Bearfield (Director of EPSO), Peter Vis (former Chief of Staff for Commissioner for Climate Change), Professor Didier Georgakakis, author of a book on the future of Eurocracy (Paris 1), Jonathan Scheele (former EU Director), Peteris Zilgavis, Michael Shackleton, Lord Hannay.
Convenors: EUK@Ox cluster, led by the Europaeum and MFO