Can I support my studies by taking paid employment?

You may take on a part-time job in order to help with the costs of studying, but you would need to ensure that it does not interfere with the work for your course. European and overseas students must get the permission of their supervisor and may work no more than twenty hours per week during term. They may work fulltime during vacations. There are no restrictions upon UK students, though obviously their earnings will be taxed if they work beyond a certain threshold. Colleges offer a number of small jobs that can be combined with study, such as library jobs and occasional portering duties, and the Department operates a Tutorial Register, so that suitably-qualified graduates who have undertaken the necessary training can tutor undergraduate students.


Back to FAQ