Annette Idler talks about the disarmament of Colombia’s FARC rebels | News and Media

Dr Annette Idler talks about the disarmament of Colombia’s FARC rebels

Annette Idler has appeared on BBC World Service’s ‘Newsday’ programme (20 June) to discuss what seem to be the closing stages of the peace deal between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia—People's Army, known as the FARC.

Annette mentioned that the FARC have already handed over 60% of 7,000 arms registered, and today they begin handing over the other 40% of arms – adding that 27 June is currently the scheduled date for all arms to be handed over, and a symbolic ceremony is planned.

She added that the situation still has its complexities: there may be more arms that have not been registered, and there are other groups – some criminal – which are still armed. But she said that, with that in mind, this is still a historic moment for Colombia.

The full programme can be heard here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p055r77v  (Annette appears at 42m 56s.)

Dr Annette Idler is Senior Research Fellow at the Department of Politics and International Relations and at Pembroke College; Director of Studies, Changing Character of War Programme