Frequently Asked Questions
When will I know whether my application has been accepted?
Applications close on Monday 28 January and admissions decisions will be announced shortly after.
I have received an email accepting me on the course. What will happen if I do not reply to this?
If you are offered a place on the course, you will have two weeks to confirm your place by paying the course fee. If we do not receive payment, we will offer your place to someone on the waitlist.
I have received an email notifying me that I am on the waitlist for a place. What happens now?
The course is very popular and places are limited, so we often operate a waitlist in case any of our participants do not confirm their place. All instructions on how to proceed will be in the email you have received.
I need to withdraw my application or cancel my place – how can I do this?
- If applications are still open, please contact us to withdraw your application.
- If you have been accepted onto the course but have not confirmed your place by paying the course fee, please contact us as soon as possible so we can offer your place to someone on our waitlist.
- If you have already confirmed your place and we have received payment for your course fee, unfortunately we cannot cancel your place or issue a refund. However, please contact us so that we know not to expect you.
How can I pay for the course / accommodation?
- You can pay by credit card (personal or institutional) or by invoice to your institution. Other options may be available; please contact us to ask, with as much notice as possible. You will be sent full instructions by email once you have been accepted on the course.
- We regret that it is not possible to make payment to the Department by bank transfer.
My institution will pay for me – how can I arrange this?
- As soon as you are offered a place on the Spring School course, please contact us promptly to confirm that your institution will arrange payment on your behalf. (Please note: the department requires plenty of notice to arrange invoices to ensure payment is received by the payment deadline.)
- Please provide the name and address of your institution and also the name and email of the contact person with whom we should correspond to arrange the invoice. Please specify if your institution will be paying for both your accommodation and course fee, or only for your course fee.
- Important: Please ensure the relevant finance contact(s) at your institution are notified of the payment deadline at least a few weeks in advance!
Can I have a receipt?
Yes, a receipt will be given to you in person on the first day of the course. If you need your receipt sooner than this, please contact us to request this.
Is there any funding available to subsidise my course fee?
Yes, a limited number of course fee bursaries are available; please visit the Fees and Funding page for more information. Unfortunately we are not aware of any other funding sources available at this time for subsidising your course fee.
I will need a visa letter to travel to the Spring School. How can I arrange this?
- Please let us know that you need a visa letter when you fill in the application form. We will ensure that letters are issued quickly; unfortunately, we cannot issue them without first receiving payment from you. If you are offered a place on the course, prompt payment of the course fee will ensure that you have as much time as possible to secure your visa.
- You may find the government visa website useful for more information on applying for a visa (for example, information on the average time it takes to get a response for a visa).
Will my course or accommodation fee be refunded if I do not get a Visa for the UK?
Unfortunately we cannot refund course or accomodation fees once they have been paid.
I need to change/cancel the accommodation I have booked via Spring School. How should I do this?
- Please contact us as soon as possible and we will find out if a change is still possible. Please do not contact the college directly.
- Unfortunately we cannot refund accommodation fees once they have been paid.
Can you book my partner’s accommodation too?
There may be twin or double rooms available. We can offer advice as to where to stay or approach the college that you would otherwise be staying at and ask if it is possible to accommodate your partner. Please contact us.
I am on a tight budget and am looking for very low-cost accommodation in Oxford city centre.
You may like to book with Oxford’s Youth Hostel; we advise booking early as beds go fast.
I need a certificate to prove that I attended the course – will I receive one automatically?
Yes, at the end of the course you will be given a certificate of attendance to the Oxford Spring School. If you intend to leave the course early, please contact us so we can have your certificate ready for you.
When will I receive my course material?
All accepted course participants (who have paid their course fee) will be supplied with access to the online course material three weeks before the start of the course. Printed course material will be available when you arrive in Oxford.
I will need to access the internet - will wifi access be provided?
- Free internet access will be available to you at the Oxford Spring School venue for the duration of the course. If you have internet access via Eduroam this is widely available across Oxford; if not, we will provide you with a visitor wi-fi access code.
- If you have booked college accommodation via Oxford Spring School, free internet access will be provided in the college you are staying in; you can request a visitor wi-fi access code on arrival. If you have booked college accommodation independently, we advise that you contact the accommodation venue to check their internet access.
Do I need to bring a laptop?
For pedagogical purposes you are required to bring your own laptop to class. We will email participants a set of instructions explaining how to download the relevant software in advance.