Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if one of my selected sessions is fully booked?
Registration for core sessions is on a first come/first serve basis.
We will inform registrants as soon as possible if there are registrants beyond the maximal number of participants for their selected session; registrants will be put on a waiting list, and will be informed if a place becomes available. Registrants will instead be offered a place on the alternative session option.
I have already registered for the Spring School but I would like to change my subject selection, what should I do?
It is possible to change your choice of sessions if there are spaces available. Please contact Spring School to enquire. It is not possible to change sessions later than Friday 12 March 2018.
When will I know whether my application has been accepted?
As soon as registration closes, all applications will be considered with reference to the selection criteria. Admissions decisions will be announced shortly after that.
I have received an email accepting me on the course and asking me to confirm my attendance. What will happen if I do not reply to this?
Once we have allocated places on the course, we ask individuals who have been allocated a place on the course to confirm that they will indeed be participating by Friday February 9. We ask for you to confirm your attendance so that, if you can no longer come, we are able to offer your place to someone on the waiting list. If we do not receive your confirmation by we will offer your place to someone else.
Registration has closed. How can I find out if there are any places left on the course?
Please contact Spring School, specifying which course sessions you are interested in attending, and we will let you know if there are still places.
I need to cancel my registration – how can I do this?
- If registration is still open please contact Spring School to cancel your registration. Alternatively, ring the Spring School Course administrator (Margo Kirk: +(44)1865 278703).
If you have been accepted onto the course you may cancel your registration provided that the payment deadline (stated in the confirmation of place email) has not yet passed. If the department has received payment for your course fee we regret that we can only refund you if your course place can be filled by another participant.
How can I pay for the course / accommodation?
- You can pay by credit card (personal or institutional) or by invoice to your institution. Other options may be available; please contact Spring School to ask. You will be sent full instructions by email once you have been accepted on the course.
- We regret that it is not possible to make payment to the department by bank transfer.
My institution will pay for me – how can I arrange this?
- As soon as you are offered a place on the Spring School course, please contact Spring School promptly to confirm that your institution will arrange payment on your behalf. (Please note: the department requires plenty of notice to arrange invoices, to ensure payment is received by the Spring School payment deadline.)
- Please provide the name and address of your institution and also the name and email of the contact person with whom we should correspond to arrange the invoice. Please specify if your institution will be paying for both your accommodation and course fee, or only for your course fee.
- Important: Please ensure the relevant finance contact(s) at your institution are notified of the Spring School payment deadline at least a few weeks before the actual deadline!
Can I have a receipt?
Yes, a receipt will be given to you in person on the first day of the course. If you need your receipt sooner than this, please contact Spring School to request this.
Is there any funding available to subsidise my course fee?
Yes, a limited number of course fee bursaries are available; please go to the Fees and Funding page. Unfortunately we are not aware of any other funding sources available at this time for subsidising your course fee.
I will need a visa letter to travel to the Spring School. How can I arrange this?
- Please let us know that you need a visa letter when you fill in the registration form. We will ensure that letters are issued quickly; unfortunately, we cannot issue them without first receiving payment from you. If you are offered a place on the Spring School course, prompt payment of course and accommodation fees will ensure that you have as much time as possible to secure your visa.
- You may find the government visa website useful for more information on applying for a visa (for example, information on the average time it takes to get a response for a visa).
Will my course fee / accommodation fee be refunded if I do not get a Visa for the UK?
- Your course fee: If we are able to fill your place on the course then we will be pleased to refund your course fee. However, if you cancel late and/or we are unable to fill your place then we regret that we would be unable to refund your course fee.
Your accommodation fee: in order to obtain a refund, you will need to contact Spring School to cancel by midday on Monday 27 February 2017.
I requested accommodation on my registration form, how will I know whether I have received my first choice?
- After course registration has closed you will be notified of your acceptance onto the course. Once you receive the acceptance email you will need to reply promptly to confirm your attendance if you are offered a place. You will then receive another email detailing the accommodation that has been reserved for you (providing there is still availability) and also the cost and date by which payment is due.
- There are a limited number of rooms reserved for participants of the course; please note your first choice of accommodation is not guaranteed. Priority for accommodation will be given to those who register and confirm their attendance first. If there is a higher demand for accommodation than places currently available we can look for more accommodation and/or provide advice to participants so they can make alternative arrangements.
- Please note that if we do not receive payment for your accommodation by the deadline (as stated in the confirmation of course place email), it will not be possible to keep the accommodation reserved for you.
I need to change/cancel the accommodation I have booked via Spring School. How should I do this?
- Please do not contact the College accommodation directly. Please email Spring School as soon as possible.
- If you need to change your accommodation we will have to contact the appropriate college and see if a change is still possible.
- If you have already paid for your accommodation and need to cancel, please note that in order to obtain a refund you will need to contact Spring School (message subject: "Cancel Accommodation") by midday on Monday 26 February 2018. If you contact us after this time, please note it is not guaranteed that we will be able to refund your accommodation costs.
Can you book my partner’s accommodation too?
There are a limited number of twin rooms (no doubles) available in Brasenose College. We can offer advice as to where to stay or approach the college that you would otherwise be staying at and ask if it is possible to accommodate your partner. If you require a double room then we will be happy to make recommendations for other venues. Please contact Spring School.
I am on a tight budget and am looking for very low-cost accommodation in Oxford city centre.
You may like to book with Oxford’s youth hostel; we advise booking early as beds go fast: https://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/heart-of-england/hostels/oxford/index.aspx
Is there anywhere I can leave my luggage before I check in /after I have checked out of my accommodation on the Monday and Friday?
There will be a limited amount of space available for luggage storage in the Manor Road building on the first and last day of the course. If you wish to check this before arrival, please contact Spring School the week before the course starts.
I need a certificate to prove that I attended the course – will I receive one automatically?
Yes, at the end of the course you will be given a certificate of attendance to the Oxford Spring School. If you intend to leave the course early, please either contact Spring School, or inform the Spring School event assistant during the course so we can have your certificate ready for you.
When will I receive my course material?
All accepted course participants (who have paid their course fee) will be supplied with access to the online course material three weeks before the start of the course. Printed course material will be available when you arrive in Oxford.
I will need to access the internet frequently during my time in Oxford – will free internet access be provided?
- Free internet access will be available to you in the course venue for the duration of the Spring School: if you have internet access via Eduroam this is widely available across Oxford; if not, we will provide you with a visitor wi-fi access code.
- If you have booked College accommodation via Spring School, free internet access will be provided in the College you are staying in; you can request a visitor wi-fi access code on arrival. If you have booked College accommodation independently of Spring School, we advise that you contact the accommodation venue to check their internet access.
Do I need to bring a laptop?
For pedagogical purposes you are required to bring your own laptop to class. Two weeks before the Spring School starts we will email participants a set of instructions explaining how to download the relevant software.