Ideology Methods Political Parties Comparative Politics and Government  Political economy and international political economy
I am a fourth year DPhil Candidate in Politics and the recipient of a Full Scholarship granted by the FCT, the Portuguese national funding agency for science, research and technology, with full funding until October 2021.
I am currently working on "Undemocratic Regime Types and Immunization Against Extremism", a paper I presented at the APSA and EPSA conferences in 2019. I am very interested in how legacies of past undemocratic regimes can affect post-transitional and contemporary political institutions in Western Europe and post-Soviet states.
Before joining the University of Oxford I briefly worked in consultancy and journalism. I read for an MA in Governance, Leadership and Democracy Studies (Summa cum laude) at the Institute for Political Studies of the Catholic University of Portugal, with a full scholarship awarded by the Fundação Oriente. I hold a B.Sc. in Business Administration from the Católica Lisbon School of Business and Economics.
Portuguese (native), English, Spanish, Italian.
Teaching specialism, interests and experience
Teaching at Oxford:
- Comparative Political Economy (CPE 297)
- Introduction to the Practice of Politics (Politics Prelims)
Comparative Politics: undemocratic regimes and their legacies, European politics, post-Soviet politics, political systems, electoral behaviour and the relationship between History and Politics. Methodologically, I am interested in quantitative methods, textual and visual analysis using Big Data applied to politics.
- FCT Full Doctoral Fellowship. Awarded by FCT, the Portuguese national funding agency for science (2017 to 2021)
- APSA 2019 Travel Grant: APSA Conference Funding (May 2019)
- Henry the Navigator Award by the Institute of Political Studies IEP-UCP (February 2019)
- Santander Academic Travel Award (March 2018)
- Wolfson College Travel Grant Award (May 2019, March 2018, June 2017)
- Wolfson College Fee Bursary (June 2017)
- Norman Chester Funds Grant Award (June 2019 and September 2017)
- Master of Arts Full Scholarship. Awarded by The Fundação Oriente (2013-2014)
- Azevedo Alves, André, and Catarina Leão. “Controlo Democrático do Orçamento.” In Orçamento, Economia e Democracia: Uma Proposta de Arquitectura Institicional, edited by Abel Mateus, 271-296. Lisbon: Fundação Francisco Manuel dos Santos, 2018.
Publication (non-peer reviewed)
- Leão, Catarina, “About Tradition in Karl Popper: Does a Popperian Open Society require a grounding in a Shared Tradition?”, Nova Cidadania, Spring 2014, no. 52.
Conference Papers and Presentations
- Undemocratic Regime Types and Immunization Against Extremism, APSA 2019 and EPSA 2019
- Convergences and Divergences: The evolution of the Extreme-Right in Western Europe and the US
- Authoritarian Rule and Party System Fragmentation (with Elias Dinas), MPSA 2018