Mr Naosuke Mukoyama
Civil wars  Democracy and Democratisation Nationalism Sovereignty Statebuilding
I am a DPhil student in International Relations at the DPIR and a member of St. Antony's College. Before coming to Oxford, I was a Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Research Fellow (DC1). I completed my LL.B. and MPhil in Political Science at the University of Tokyo. I also spent one year at the University of Toronto as an exchange student.
The main theme of my research is to examine questions concerning sovereignty, state/nation-building, and colonial legacies from the intersecting perspectives of international relations and comparative politics. As part of this broader research agenda, I am focusing on the relationship between natural resources (especially oil) and the decolonization process of microstates in my dissertation project. My regional focus is Southeast Asia and the Middle East, especially Brunei and the Persian Gulf. My other research projects include third party intervention in the issues of history and people's perception on the geographical definition of Asia.
- 2017 (April - September). Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Research Fellow (DC1).
- The 10th JAIR Award. The Japan Association of International Relations. 2017.
- The 34th Showa Ikeda Essay Award (Award of Brilliance). Showa Ikeda Memorial Foundation. 2015.
- The 3rd Ishibashi Tanzan Peace Award (Third Prize). Yamanashi Peace Museum. 2014.
- The 29th Eisaku Sato Essay Contest (Award of Brilliance). Eisaku Sato Memorial Foundation with United Nations University. 2013.
- DPIR Studentship. Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford. 2017-2019.
- Keidanren Graduate Student Scholarship. Keidanren Ishizaka Memorial Foundation. 2017-2019.
- Fulbright Grant for Graduate Study. (declined to attend the University of Oxford) 2017.
- Furuno Scholarship. Doumei Ikuseikai. 2015-2017.
- Showa Ikeda Scholarship. Showa Ikeda Memorial Foundation. 2015-2016.
- Keidanren Global Human Resource Development Scholarship. Keidanren Ishizaka Memorial Foundation. 2013-2014.
- Mukoyama, Naosuke. 2017. "Consequences of third-party intervention in history issues: Genocide recognition of the Armenian Massacre and Turkey." Kokusai Seiji (International Relations), 187, pp.30- 45. (in Japanese) ― Won the 10th JAIR Award from the Japan Association of International Relations.
- Mukoyama, Naosuke and Fumiya Uchikoshi. 2015. "Views of Japan and China in Southeast Asia: Two hidden fallacies in Japanese society" in Sonoda, Shigeto eds., Renkei to Rihan no Higashi Asia (Cooperation and Alienation in East Asia). Keiso-shobo. pp.55-86. (in Japanese)
- Mukoyama, Naosuke. 2013. "Beyond the devotion to study abroad: East Asia as an academic hub under the cooperation of Japan and Korea" in Kang, Sang-jung and Tadashi Kimiya eds., Nikkan Kankei no Mirai wo Kousou Suru (Planning the Future of Japan-Korea Relations). Shinkansha. pp.238-260. (in Japanese)
Conference Papers and Presentations
Mukoyama, Naosuke. 2017. “The Colonial Origins of the Resource Curse – Petro-Independence and Its Consequences.” Japan Association for Comparative Politics 20th Annual Conference. June 18th.