Mr Yuan Yi Zhu
Job Market Candidate
Foreign Policy and diplomacy Global governance History Institutions and organisations International law Sovereignty Constitutions, Institutions and Governments Law and International law Norms, legitimacy and justification
I am a DPhil candidate in International Relations at Nuffield College and a Stidependiary Lecturer in Politics at Pembroke College, Oxford. My research is concerned with the notion of sovereignty within the context of international law. In particular, I am interested in the influence of non-Western powers such as China on the development of legal understandings of sovereignty. In addition, I maintain secondary research interests in political history and public law.
Before coming to Oxford, I obtained a BA from McGill University, where I was an Allen Oliver Fellow and Moyse Scholar, and a MPhil from the University of Cambridge, where I was a Bacon Scholar.
Teaching specialism, interests and experience
I currently teach International Relations for undergraduate PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) students at Pembroke, Harris Manchester, and Worcester Colleges, Oxford. I have also taught for Stanford University's Oxford Program.
- Barbara W. Tuchman Prize for Best Paper in Historical International Relations by a Graduate Student, International Studies Association (2020)
- Tutorial Research Grant, Stanford University (2019)
- Nuffield College Travel Grant (2017 to 2020)
- Social Sciences Research Council of Canada Doctoral Research Fellowship (2017)
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship [declined], (2017)
- Nuffield College-DPIR Studentship in International Relations, University of Oxford (2016)
- Gabrielle Sacconaghi Bacon Scholarship in International Relations, University of Cambridge (2015)
- Moyse Travelling Scholarship, McGill University (2015)
- Allen Oliver Fellowship, McGill University (2015)
- Philip F. Vineberg Travelling Fellowship, McGill University [declined] (2015)
- Mackenzie King Travelling Scholarship, Mackenzie King Trustees [declined] (2015)
- Guy Drummond Fellowship, Science Po and McGill University [declined] (2014)
- Cherry Prize in Political Science, McGill University (2014)
- Mr & Mrs Harry Colle Award, McGill University (2014)
- "Suzerainty, Semi-Sovereignty, and International Legal Hierarchies on China’s Borderlands", forthcoming, Asian Journal of International Law. Available on FirstView here.
- Putting Royal Assent in Doubt? One Implication of the Supreme Court’s Prorogation Judgment. London: Policy Exchange, 2019.
- "Myanmar", Foreign Law Guide, Marci Hoffman (ed.). Leiden: Brill, 2018.
- "Canada—a new framework for the right to be tried within a reasonable time, R. v Jordan  SCC 27", Public Law (July 2017), 520-522.
- (with Tuuli-Anna Huikuri) "Redrawing the Boundaries of International Law", special issue of St Antony's International Review 14(1) (May 2018).
- (with M Gehring, A Wardell, E Kassongo, and J Nadeau) CIFOR-UNIKIS-CISDL Sustainable Landscapes Law and Governance Info Brief Series (Montreal: Centre for International Sustainable Development Law, 2015).