The Department of Politics and International Relations (DPIR) is keen to support applications from early career scholars who have recently completed their doctorate, or are in its final stages, both from the UK and internationally. The applicant’s research area should be within the scope of the Department’s expertise.
Funding scheme deadlines & application processes
For the Postdoctoral Fellowship funding schemes listed on our Research Opportunities webpage, which are very popular and highly competitive, we have annual internal review deadlines. All potential applicants to these schemes must submit an application for internal review by the stated DPIR deadlines, regardless of the scheme’s own deadline.
Other schemes, such as the Marie Skłodowska-Curie European Fellowship, are considered at DPIR’s discretion and are subject to an internal review process. (Please note the department does not support the Marie Skłodowska Global Fellowship due to the financial complexities of the grant). To be considered for DPIR support, please contact the research support team at least 8 weeks before any external funding deadline.
All potential applicants (internal or external) must submit an application for internal review and need to contact at least one member of DPIR’s permanent academic staff to explore mentoring arrangements prior to submitting an application.
How to submit an application
Please email the following information to email@example.com for consideration. Your subject line should read ’Postdoc internal review: [your name]’.
- Draft research proposal, maximum of 4 sides of A4, including references with a minimum font size 11 (please note a full bibliography is not required at this stage):
- Abstract (1 paragraph)
- Aims and objectives (1/2 A4 page)
- Case of support (2 A4 pages)
- Methods (1 A4 page)
- Outcomes and outputs (1/2 A4 page)
- Name and deadline of the scheme(s) you wish to be considered for
- Statement of how you meet the scheme(s) eligibility criteria
- Name and email address of the proposed DPIR academic mentor
DPIR’s research support team host post-doctoral funding information workshops for potential applicants (internal and external) throughout the year. All potential applicants are encouraged to attend these 1 hour workshops prior to submitting an application for internal review. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
• 13th June 2022 – British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship workshop (internal review deadline 1st July 2022)
• 4th October 2022 – Leverhulme Trust Early Career fellowship (internal review deadline 1st November 2022
• 1st November 2022 – ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship workshop (internal review deadline 7th January 2023)