The Department of Politics and International Relations (DPIR) is keen to support applications from early career scholars who have recently completed their doctorate, or are in its final stages, both from the UK and internationally. The applicant’s research area should be within the scope of the Department’s expertise.
Funding scheme deadlines & application processes
For the Postdoctoral Fellowship funding schemes listed on our Research Opportunities webpage, which are very popular and highly competitive, we have annual internal review deadlines. All potential applicants to these schemes must submit an application for internal review by the stated DPIR deadlines, regardless of the scheme’s own deadline.
Other schemes, such as the Marie Skłodowska-Curie European Fellowship, are considered at DPIR’s discretion and are subject to an internal review process. (Please note the department does not support the Marie Skłodowska Global Fellowship due to the financial complexities of the grant). To be considered for DPIR support, please contact the Research Facilitation team at least eight weeks before any external funding deadline.
All potential applicants (internal or external) must submit an application for internal review and need to contact at least one member of DPIR’s permanent academic staff to explore mentoring arrangements prior to submitting an application.
How to submit an application
Please email the following information to email@example.com for consideration. Your subject line should read ’Postdoc internal review: [your name]’.
- CV - max 3 pages
- Draft research proposal, maximum of 4 sides of A4, including references with a minimum font size 11. To include:
- Abstract (1 paragraph)
- Aims and objectives (1/2 A4 page)
- Case of support (2 A4 pages)
- Methods (1 A4 page)
- Outcomes and outputs (1/2 A4 page)
You only need to add the name and date of any citation used in the main body of the text. A full bibliography is not required at this stage.
- Eligibility statement to include:
- Name and deadline of the scheme you wish to be considered for
- Statement of how you meet the specific scheme eligibility criteria
- Name and email address of the proposed DPIR academic mentor
DPIR’s Research Facilitation team host post-doctoral funding information workshops for potential applicants (internal and external) throughout the year. All potential applicants are encouraged to attend these 1 hour workshops prior to submitting an application for internal review. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship workshop - 14th November 2023.
- ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowship internal review deadline - 5th January 2024.
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship workshop - 4th June 2024.
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship workshop internal review deadline 8th July 2024.