BA, MPhil, DPhil Oxon
Miles Tendi joined the Department of Politics and International Relations (DPIR) in 2017. His post is a joint appointment with the Oxford School of Global and Area Studies (OSGA). Before moving to DPIR, he held a Departmental Lectureship in African Politics in the Oxford Department of International Development (QEH) from 2011 to 2017. Prior to joining the Oxford Department of International Development (QEH), he worked as a risk consultant for Control Risks (London).
Tendi is interested in:
Military Coups D'état.
Gender and Politics.
Intellectuals and Politics.
The Existence and Uses of ‘Evil’ in Politics.
Southern African Politics (especially Botswana, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Eswatini, Lesotho).
Sole Authored Books
- Fall of an African Dictator: Mugabe, a Gendered Coup and Military Power, Oxford University Press (forthcoming).
- The Army and Politics in Zimbabwe: Mujuru, the Liberation Fighter and Kingmaker, Cambridge University Press.
- Making History in Mugabe’s Zimbabwe: Politics, Intellectuals and the Media, Peter Lang.
- The Oxford Handbook of Zimbabwean Politics, Oxford University Press. [Co-edited with Jocelyn Alexander and JoAnn McGregor]
- Transnational Histories of Southern African Liberation Movements, Taylor and Francis. [Co-edited with Jocelyn Alexander and JoAnn McGregor]
- Politics, Patronage and the State in Zimbabwe, Taylor and Francis. [Co-edited with Jocelyn Alexander and JoAnn McGregor]
- 'The Motivations and Dynamics of Zimbabwe's 2017 Military Coup', African Affairs, 119, 474, 2019.
- ‘Transnationalism, Contingency and Loyalty in African Liberation Armies: The Case of ZANU’s 1974-1975 Nhari Mutiny’, Journal of Southern African Studies, 43, 1, 2017.
- ‘State Intelligence and Zimbabwe’s Presidential Succession Politics’, African Affairs, 115, 459, 2016.
- ‘Soldiers contra Diplomats: The Rhodesia/Zimbabwe Ceasefire (1979-80) Reconsidered’, Small Wars and Insurgencies, 26, 6, 2015.
- ‘The Origins and Functions of Demonisation Discourses in Britain-Zimbabwe Relations (2000-)’, Journal of Southern African Studies, 40, 6, 2014.
- ‘Ideology, Civilian Authority and the Zimbabwean Military’, Journal of Southern African Studies, 39, 4, 2013.
- ‘Robert Mugabe’s 2013 Presidential Election Campaign’, Journal of Southern African Studies, 39, 4, 2013.
- ‘Power-sharing in Comparative Perspective: the Origins and Consequences of ‘Unity Government’ in Kenya and Zimbabwe’, (co-author: Nic Cheeseman), Journal of Modern African Studies, 48, 2, 2010.
- ‘Patriotic History and Public Intellectuals Critical of Power’, Journal of Southern African Studies, 34, 2, 2008.
- ‘La Violence et les Urnes: Le Zimbabwe en 2008’, (co-author: Jocelyn Alexander), Politique Africaine, 111, 29, 2008.
- ‘A Tale of Two Elections: Zimbabwe at The Polls in 2008’, (co-author: Jocelyn Alexander), ACAS Bulletin, 2, 80, 2008.