Our alumni are amongst the most influential and well-known leaders and thinkers, teachers and researchers worldwide. You can maintain your links with the department, and other undergraduate and graduate alumni, through our programme of publications, events and networks. You can also now connect with other Politics and International Relations alumni online, via Oxford Alumni's exclusive social network, My Oxford Network.
Please update your contact details and make sure that you are signed up to receive DPIR's latest news and updates, via My Oxford Online. (Please note, if you already have an account with one of the other Oxford Alumni Online communities, you can use those details to login below or register for a free account.) Alternatively, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to our monthly alumni newsletter.
Politics and International Relations at Oxford has a long and distinguished history, which is reflected in the number of famous alumni from around the world who have studied here over the years.
Please email email@example.com if you feel we should add an individual to the list of notable alumni below.
- Riz Ahmed
British Pakistani musician and actor.
- Danny Alexander
Former British Liberal Democrat politician.
- Rushanara Ali
British Labour MP.
- Tariq Ali
British-Pakistani political activist and journalist.
- Zeinab Badawi
BBC television and radio journalist.
- Ed Balls
Former British Labour politician.
- Peter Beinart
US journalist and author.
- Tony Benn
British Labour politician.
- Isaiah Berlin
British social and political theorist.
- Benazir Bhutto
Prime Minister of Pakistan (1988-90 & 1993-1996).
- William J. Burns
- David Cameron
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (2010-2016)
- John Chipman
Director-General and Chief Executive of the International Institute for Strategic Studies.
- Wesley Clark
US Army General, Supreme Allied Commander Europe of NATO (1997-2000).
- Bill Clinton
President of the United States (1992-2000).
- Yvette Cooper
British Labour politician.
- Edwina Currie
British Conservative politician.
- Evan Davis
BBC journalist and presenter.
- Christopher Dell
- David Dimbleby
BBC television presenter.
- Michele Flournoy
Former US Under Secretary of Defence for Policy.
- Michael Foot
Former British Labour party leader.
- Malcolm Fraser
Prime Minister of Australia (1975-1983).
- Peter Galbraith
US academic and diplomat.
- Geoff Gallop
Australian academic and Labour politician.
- Krishnan Guru-Murthy
Channel 4 television presenter and journalist.
- Richard Haass
US diplomat and President of the Council on Foreign Relations.
- William Hague
British Conservative politician and peer.
- Robert Hawke
Prime Minister of Australia (1983-91).
- Edward Heath
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1970-74).
- Christopher Hitchens
British-American journalist and author.
- Roy Jenkins
British Labour and Social Democratic Party politician.
- Elena Kagan
US Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
- Imran Khan
Prime Minister of Pakistan and former cricketer.
- Pedro Pablo Kuczynski
Prime Minister of Peru (2005-06).
- John Kufuor
President of the Republic of Ghana (2001-09)
- Nigel Lawson
Former British Chancellor of the Exchequer and Conservative politician.
- Farooq Leghari
President of Pakistan (1993-97).
- Rachel Maddow
US television host and political commentator.
- Sujata Manohar
Judge of the Supreme Court of India (1994-99).
- Michael McFaul
US academic and diplomat.
- David Miliband
Former British Foreign Minister and Labour politician; current Chief Executive of the International Rescue Committee.
- Ed Miliband
British Labour politician and former party leader.
- Nadar Mousavizadeh
Chief Executive Officer of Oxford Analytica.
- Rupert Murdoch
Founder of the News Corporation.
- Tony Newton
British Conservative politician.
- Nicholas Oppenheimer
Chairman of the De Beers diamond mining company.
- Brian Paddick
Deputy Assistant Commissioner, London Metropolitan Police (1976-2007).
- Robert Peston
ITV television journalist.
- James Purnell
British broadcaster and former Labour politician.
- Bob Rae
Canadian lawyer, author and former politician. Premier of Ontario (1990-1995), Interim Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada (2011-2013).
- Susan Rice
- Aung San Suu Kyi
Burmese activist and leader of the National League for Democracy.
- Will Self
British novelist and commentator.
- Vikram Seth
Indian poet and author.
- Radoslaw Sikorski
Polish MEP and journalist.
- Matias Spektor
Brazilian academic, author and commentator.
- Harald V of Norway
King of Norway.
- Abhisit Vejjajiva
Prime Minister of Thailand (2005-08).
- Ann Widdecombe
British Brexit Party MEP and former Conservative politician.
- Shirley Williams
British Liberal Democrat politician.
- Harold Wilson
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1964-70, 1974-76).
- Mara Yamauchi
British Olympic athlete.
Some students go on to careers within academia - please see below a list of alumni who hold a DPhil from the Department or from its predecessor, the Sub-Faculty of Politics, and have gone on to academic posts around the world
These lists are a work in progress. If your name should be removed or added to the list please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Raphael Cohen-Almagor- Professor of Politics, University of Hull
- Robin Archer - Professor, London School of Economics
- Daniel Attas- Associate Professor of Philosophy, Economics and Political Science, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Alice Baderin - Lecturer in Politics and International Relations, University of Reading
- Rochana Bajpai- Associate Professor of Politics School of Oriental and African Studies
- Ayelet Banai- Assistant Professor of Politics, University of Haifa
- Ronald Beiner- Professor of Political Science, University of Toronto
- Daniel Bell- Chair Professor of the Schwarzman Scholar Program,Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Erica Benner- Fellow in Political Philosophy, Yale University
- Laurie Bernotsky - Professor & Director of the MPA Program, Department of Political Science, West Chester University
- Mark Bevir- Professor of Political Science and Director of the Center for British Studies, University of California, Berkeley
- Paul Billingham - Associate Professor of Political Theory, DPIR, University of Oxford; Fellow and Tutor in Politics, Magdalen College, University of Oxford
- Charles Blattberg- Professor of Political Philosophy, Université de Montréal
- Adrian Blau - Senior Lecturer in Politics, King's College
- Martijn Boot- Associate Professor, Faculty of Political Science and Economics, Waseda University
- Daniel Butt - Associate Professor of Political Theory and MPhil in Political Theory Course Director, Balliol College, University of Oxford
- Simon Caney - Professor in Political Theory, University of Warwick
- Clare Chambers - University Senior Lecturer in Philosophy and Fellow of Jesus College, University of Cambridge
- Joseph Chan- Professor, Department of Politics and Public Administration, University of Hong Kong
- James Christensen- Lecturer in Politics, University of Essex
- Simon Clarke- Associate Professor in the Program in Political Science and International Affairs at the American University of Armenia
- Matthew Clayton - Associate Professor of Political Theory, University of Warwick
- Alexandra Couto- Postdoctoral Researcher at the Centre for the Study of Mind in Nature, at the University of Oslo
- Jack Crittenden- Associate Professor, Politics and Global Studies, Arizona State University
- George Crowder- Professor, Politics and Public Policy, Flinders University
- Angela Cummine - British Academy Post-doctoral Fellow in Political Theory and Associate Fellow of New College, University of Oxford
- Laurence Davis- Lecturer in Government, University College Cork
- Teun Dekker- Lecturer, University College Maastricht
- Avner De-Shalit- Professor of Democracy and Human Rights, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Janina Dill - Associate Professor in International Relations, University of Oxford
- Andrew Dobson - Professor of Politics, Keele University
- Keith Dowding - Professor of Political Science, Australian National University
- Gideon Elford - Departmental Lecturer in Political Theory, New College, University of Oxford
- Chikako Endo- Associate Professor, School of Human Sciences Osaka University
- Mark Evans- Reader in Political and Cultural Studies, Swansea University
- Nir Eyal - Associate Professor in Global Health and Social Medicine (Medical Ethics), Harvard Medical School
- Cecile Fabre - Senior Research Fellow, All Souls College, University of Oxford
- John Filling - Teaching Fellow in Political Theory, University College London
- Sarah Fine - University Associate Professor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Philosophy and Fellow, Corpus Christi College, University of Cambridge
- Elizabeth Finneron-Burns - Teaching Fellow, PAIS, University of Warwick
- Joey Fishkin- Assistant Professor, University of Texas School of Law
- Dov Fox- Assistant Professor of Law, University of San Diego
- Elizabeth Frazer- Associate Professor of Politics, Official Fellow, New College, University of Oxford
- Graeme Garrard- Reader in Political Theory at University of Cardiff
- Robert Goodin - Professor of Government at the University of Essex and Distinguished Professor of Social & Political Theory and Philosophy at Australian National University
- Barbara Goodwin - Emeritus Professor, University of East Anglia
- Uri Gordon- Lecturer in Politics, Loughborough University
- Kerah Gordon-Solmon, Assistant Professor, Queen's University
- Leslie Green - Professor of the Philosophy of Law and Fellow of Balliol College
- Shivi Greenfield- Research Fellow, Chazan Center for Social Justice and Democracy, Van-Leer Institute
- James Hampshire - Senior Lecturer in Politics, University of Sussex
- Sarah Hannan - Assistant Professor, University of Manitoba
- Lisa Herzog - Professor of Political Philosophy, University of Groningen
- Clare Heyward - Leverhulme Early Career Fellow, University of Warwick
- Lisa Hill - Professor of Politics, University of Adelaide
- Kei Hiruta - Associate Faculty Member, Faculty of Philosophy, The Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics
- Ian Holliday - Vice-President, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Teaching and Learning) and Professor, University of Hong Kong
- Jeff Howard- Lecturer in Political Theory, University College London
- Mathew Humphrey- Professor in Political Philosophy, University of Nottingham
- Kevin Ka-Wai Ip - Assistant Professor at the Department of Government and International Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Maidul Islam - Assistant Professor of Political Science, Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta
- Ben Jackson - Associate Professor of Modern History, Tutorial Fellow, University College, University of Oxford
- Peter Jones - Emeritus Professor of Political Philosophy, Newcastle University
- Robert Jubb- Lecturer in Political Theory, University of Reading
- Ruth Kinna - Professor of Political Theory, Loughborough University
- Alexandros Kioupkiolis- Lecturer in Political Theory, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
- Daniel Kofman- Professor in Philosophy, University of Ottawa
- Ayako Komine- Postdoctoral Fellow, The Graduate School of East Asian Studies, Freie Universität Berlin
- Chandran Kukathas - Dean, School of Social Sciences; Lee Kong Chian Chair Professor of Political Science, Singapore Management University
- Faik Kurtulmus- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Sabanci University
- Cecile Laborde - Professor in Political Theory, Nuffield College, University of Oxford
- Seth Lazar- Faculty of Philosophy, Australian National University
- Hugh Lazenby - Lecturer in Political Philosophy, University of Glasgow
- Jon Leader Maynard - Lecturer in International Politics, King's College London
- David Leopold - Associate Professor of Political Theory, Fellow of Mansfield College, University of Oxford
- Meira Levinson- Professor of Education, Harvard University
- Christian List - Professor of Political Science and Philosophy, London School of Economics
- Terry Macdonald- Senior Lecturer in International Relations, University of Melbourne
- Erik Magnusson - Postdoctoral Fellow, Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
- Andrew March- Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, Harvard
- Andrew Mason- Professor, Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick
- Helen McCabe- Assistant Professor in Political Theory, University of Nottingham
- Daniel McDermott - Associate Professor of Political Theory and Tutorial Fellow of Keble College, University of Oxford
- James Meadowcroft- Professor of Political Science, Cartleton University
- Tamar Meisels- Professor of Government and Policy, Tel Aviv University
- David Miller- Professor of Political Theory and Official Fellow of Nuffield College, University of Oxford
- Giles Moss - Director of Student Education, Lecturer in Media Policy, School of Media and Communication, University of Leeds
- Karma Nabulsi- Tutor in Politics, St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford
- Vicki Nash - Deputy Director and Policy and Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
- Edmund Neill- Lecturer in Modern History, New College of the Humanities
- Kieran Oberman- Fellow in Politics, University of Edinburgh
- Serena Olsaretti- Research Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Michael Otsuka - Professor of Philosophy, London School of Economics
- Avia Pasternak- Lecturer in Global Ethics, University College London
- Carole Pateman - Honorary Professor, School of Law and Politics, Cardiff University
- Alan Patten - Professor of Politics, Princeton University
- Paul Petzschmann- Lecturer and Research Associate in European Studies, Carleton College
- Mark Philp - Professor, University of Warwick
- Jonathan Quong - Associate Professor of Philosophy, University of Southern California
- Andrew Reeve - Professor of Politics, University of Warwick
- Miriam Ronzoni - Senior Lecturer in Political Theory, University of Manchester
- Klem Ryan - Senior Development Coordination Officer for the United Nations
- Michael Sandel - Professor of Government, Harvard University
- Ben Saunders- Associate Professor in Political Philosophy, University of Southampton
- Hans Schattle- Professor of Political Science and International Relations, Yonsei University, Seoul
- Christian Schemmel - Lecturer in Political Theory, University of Manchester
- Darrow Schecter- Reader in Italian (History, Centre for Social and Political Thought), University of Sussex
- Micah Schwartzman - Professor of Law, University of Virginia School of Law
- Shlomi Segall- Associate Professor of Political Science, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Ronen Shnayderman- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Philosophy, University of Hamburg
- Vicki Spencer - University of Otago
- Marc Stears - Director of the Sydney Policy Lab, University of Sydney
- Zofia Stemplowska - Associate Professor of Political Theory, Asa Briggs Fellow, Worcester College, University of Oxford
- Julie Suk - Professor, Sociology; Professor, Political Science; Professor, M.A. in Liberal Studies, City University of New York and Visiting at Yale
- Adam Swift - Professor of Political Theory/Political Philosophy, University College London
- Christine Sypnowich - Professor, Queen's University
- Gayil Talshir - Senior Lecturer, Department of Political Science, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Patti Tamara Lenard - Associate Professor, University of Ottawa
- Charles Taylor - Professor Emeritus, McGill University
- Isaac Taylor - Fellow at Freedom and Security Scholar, Center for Values and Social Policy, University of Colorado
- Simon Thompson - Associate Professor at the University of the West of England
- Patrick Tomlin - Associate Professor, University of Reading
- Tiziana Torresi - Lecturer, Politics and International Studies, University of Adelaide
- Laurence Van Apeldoorn - Assistant Professor of Constitutional Law and Legal Theory, Open University, the Netherlands
- Bas Van der Vossen - Associate Professor, Director, Law and the Liberal Arts Minor Smith Institute for Political Economy and Philosophy, Chapman University
- Frank Vandenbroucke - Professor at the KU Leuven, teaches at the Universities of Antwerp and Amsterdam
- Ashwini Vasanthakumar - Associate Professor and Queen’s National Scholar in Legal and Political Philosophy, Queen's University Canada
- Juri Viehoff- Research Fellow, Research Priority Program for Ethics, University of Zurich
- Kristin Voigt - Assistant Professor, McGill University
- Nicholas Vrousalis- Lecturer in Political Philosophy, Leiden University
- Katy Wells - Assistant Professor in Political Theory, University of Warwick
- Jan-Werner Müller- Founding Director, Project in the History of Political Thought, University Center for Human Values, Princeton University
- Karl Philip Widerquist- Associate Professor, SFS-Qatar
- Martin Wilkinson- Associate Professor, Department of Political Studies, University of Auckland
- Stephen Winter- Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations, University of Auckland
- Caleb Yong- Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity
- Alexa Zellentin - Lecturer in Political Theory, University College Dublin