(MA PhD (Lond))
Richard Caplan is Professor of International Relations and Director of the Centre for International Studies. He is an Official Fellow of Linacre College. His principal research interests are concerned with international organisations and conflict management, with a particular focus on peacekeeping and 'post-conflict' peace- and state-building. He is the author and editor of several books, among them Europe's New Nationalism: States and Minorities in Conflict (Oxford University Press, 1996); A New Trusteeship? The International Administration of War-torn Territories (IISS/Routledge, 2002); Europe and the Recognition of New States in Yugoslavia (Cambridge University Press, 2005); International Governance of War-torn Territories: Rule and Reconstruction (Oxford University Press, 2005); and Exit Strategies and State Building (Oxford University Press, 2012).
His most recent research has been concerned with how leading peacebuilding organizations differ in their understandings of the characteristics of and requirements for a consolidated peace, and the implications that these differences have for the formulation and implementation of coherent peacebuilding strategies. The project has focussed on the technical, organisational, and political challenges of devising operational measures of effectiveness, in particular measures of progress towards the achievement of a consolidated peace. His research in this area culminated with a book manuscript that he completed recently under contract for Oxford University Press titled Measuring Peace: Principles, Practices, and Politics (forthcoming 2019).
Prof Caplan has held fellowships and received grants from the British Academy, the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the Leverhulme Trust, the US Institute of Peace, the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the MacArthur Foundation, and the Folke Bernadotte Academy. He has held visiting positions at SciencesPo (Paris), the University of Konstanz, Princeton University, and the European University Institute (EUI).
- International Organisations and Conflict Management
- Peacekeeping Theory and Practice
- Contemporary European Security
- Western Balkans (Yugoslavia)
- Humanitarian Intervention
- Nationalism and Ethno-nationalist Conflict
Books and monographs
- Measuring Peace: Principles, Practices, and Politics, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Exit Strategies and State Building, New York: Oxford University Press, 2012 (ed.).
- Europe and the Recognition of New States in Yugoslavia, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2005 (ppbk 2007).
- International Governance of War-Torn Territories: Rule and Reconstruction, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005 (ppbk 2006).
- A New Trusteeship? The International Administration of War-Torn Territories, Adelphi Paper No. 341, Oxford: Oxford University Press/International Institute for Strategic Studies, 2002.
- Europe’s New Nationalism: States and Minorities in Conflict, New York: Oxford University Press, 1996 (ed. with John Feffer).
- Post-Mortem on UNPROFOR: Lessons of UN Peacekeeping in Former Yugoslavia, London Defence Study No. 33, London: Brassey’s/Centre for Defence Studies, 1996.
- State of the Union: The Clinton Administration and the Nation in Profile, Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1994 (ed. with John Feffer).
Recent articles and book chapters
- 'The European Union and Unilateral Secession: The Case of Catalonia', Zeitschrift für öffentliches Recht 73 (2018) (with Z. Vermeer)
- 'Why Peace Endures: An Analysis of Post-Conflict Stabilization' in European Journal of International Security 2:2 (July 2017) (with A. Hoeffler).
- 'Some Implications of the ICJ Advisory Opinion for Resolution of the Serbia-Kosovo Conflict' in M. Milanovic and M. Wood, eds., The Law and Politics of the Kosovo Advisory Opinion, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015 (with S. Wolff).
- 'Measuring Peace Consolidation' in Rethinking State Fragility, London: British Academy, 2015.
- 'European Organizations and the Governance of Ethno-cultural Diversity' in Nationalism and Ethnic Politics 20:3 (July-September 2014).
- 'United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK)' in J.A. Koops, N. MacQueen, T. Tardy and P.D. Williams, eds., Oxford Handbook on United Nations Peace Operations, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014.
- 'The Recognition of New States and the Protection of Minorities Rights in Yugoslavia' in L. Foisneau et al., eds., Spheres of Global Justice, Vol. 1: Global Challenges to Liberal Democracy: Political Participation, Minorities and Migration, Dordrecht, Springer, 2013.
- ‘International Interventions in Nationalist Disputes' in J. Breuilly, ed., Oxford Handbook of the History of Nationalism, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- 'Regional Approaches to Statebuilding: The European Union' in M. Berdal and D. Zaum, eds., The Political Economy of Statebuilding: Power after Peace, London: Routledge, 2013 (with S. Economides and O. Anastasakis).