(BA (Genova), MA PhD (Essex))
Andrea Ruggeri is Associate Professor in International Relations and Director of the Centre for International Studies at the University of Oxford.
He joined Brasenose College and the Department of Politics an International Relations at the University of Oxford in 2014. Previously, he was Assistant Professor of International Relations at the University of Amsterdam from 2010. He holds a PhD in Government from the University of Essex (2011), an MA International Relations (Essex, 2006) and a BA in Diplomatic and International Sciences (Genova, 2005).
His current research deals with civil wars and peacekeeping. His broader research interests include collective political violence, state development, and comparative politics in Africa and Middle East.
His research has been published in the British Journal of Political Science, Comparative Political Studies, International Security, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Journal of Peace Research, International Interactions, International Organization, International Peacekeeping, International Studies Review, Political Geography, Political Science Research & Methodsand edited volumes.
Member of the Peace Operations Working group organised by the Folke Bernadotte Academy (Sweden) and he is an active member of the Network of European Peace Scientists.
He is in the editorial board of Journal of Peace Research, Il Politico, International Peacekeeping, and Quaderni di Scienza Politica. He is part of the international advisory board of Italian Political Science Review/Rivista italiana di Scienza Politica.
Research Fellow at the Michael Nicholson Centre for Conflict and Cooperation, University of Essex and Associate Member of the Nuffield College, Oxford. He is affiliated with the Oxford Q-Step Center, a new and innovative way to teach Political Science and International Relations at Oxford. He has been co-director of the Oxford Spring School in Advanced Research Methodsand visiting professor at the Bocconi University – Milan and University of Genova.
BA - Papers
PPE Prelims (with Elias Dinas) - The Practice of Politics, Michaelmas Term and Hilary Term
International Relations (214), Michaelmas Term and Hilary Term
International Relations between the two World Wars (212), Michaelmas Term and Hilary Term
International Security & Conflict
BA - Lectures
Political Analysis Year 1 ( with Andy Eggers & Robin Harding) - QStep, Hilary Term
Political Analysis Year 2 ( with Andy Eggers & David Kirk)- QStep, Michaelmas Term
Collective Political Violence
Research Design and Methods in International Relations, Michaelmas Term
IR PhD Seminars Workshop ( with Todd Hall), Michaelmas , Hilary and Trinity Term
Forthcoming. Bove, Vincenzo, Chiara Ruffa and Andrea Ruggeri. Why and How UN Peacekeeping Composition Matters, (Under Contract at Oxford University Press)
- Forthcoming. Vincenzo Bove and Andrea Ruggeri. “Peacekeeping Effectiveness and Blue Helmets’ Distance from Locals.” Journal of Conflict Resolutions
- Forthcoming.Jessica Di Salvatore, Ursula Daxecker, Andrea Ruggeri, “Fraud Is What People Make of It: Election Fraud, Perceived Fraud, and Protesting in Nigeria” Journal of Conflict Resolutions
- Forthcoming. Stefano Costalli and Andrea Ruggeri. “Long term consequence of civil war in young democracies. The Case of Italy 1946-1968.” Comparative Political Studies.
- Forthcoming. Jessica Di Salvatore and Andrea Ruggeri. “UN Peace operations Withdrawals and State Capacity. Descriptive Trends and Research Challenges.” International Peacekeeping.
- 2018.Ruggeri, Andrea; Dorussen, Han and Gizelis, Ismene. “Every Day on the Frontline? Sub-National Deployment of UN Peacekeeping”. British Journal of Political Science 48(4):1005-1026.
- 2017. Stefano Costalli and Ruggeri Andrea“Emotions, Ideologies and Violent Political Mobilization: A Symposium”. PS: Political Science & Politics50(4): 923-927.
- 2017. Tobias Bohmelt and Ruggeri Andrea. “Counterbalancing, Spatial Dependence, and Peer-Group Effects”.Political Science and Research Methods 5(2):221-239.
- 2017. Dorussen, Han and Ruggeri , Andrea “Peacekeeping Event Data: Determining the Place and Space of Peacekeeping”, International Peacekeeping 24(1):32-43.
- 2017. Bove, Vincenzo; Ruggeri , Andrea ;Zwetsloot, Remco, “What Do We know about UN Peacekeeping Leadership”, International Peacekeeping 24(1):17-23.
- 2016. Ruggeri, Andrea; Dorussen, Han and Gizelis, Ismene "Winning the Peace Locally: UN Peacekeeping and Local Conflict". International Organization 71(1):163-185
- 2016. Bove Vincenzo and Ruggeri Andrea. “Kinds of Blue. Diversity in U.N. Peacekeeping Missions and Civilian Protection”.British Journal of Political Science 46(3):681-700.
- 2015.Stefano Costalli and Ruggeri Andrea. “Indignation, Ideology and Armed Mobilization”.International Security 40(2): 119-157
- 2015. Burgoon, Brian; Ruggeri, Andrea, Schudel, Willem and Manikkalingam, Ram. “From Media Attention to Negotiated Peace: Human Rights Reporting and Civil War Duration”, International Interactions, 41(2): 226-255.
- 2015.Costalli, Stefano and Ruggeri, Andrea. “Forging Political Entrepreneurs. Civil War Effects on Post-Conflict Politics in Italy”, Political Geography, 44:40-49.
- 2014. Gleditsch, Kristian Skrede; Metternich, Nils and Ruggeri, Andrea“Data and Progress in Peace and Conflict Research”,Journal of Peace Research, 51(2): 301-314.
- 2013. Ruggeri, Andrea; Gizelis, Ismene and Dorussen, Han. “Managing Mistrust: an Analysis of Cooperation with UN Peacekeeping in Africa”,Journal of Conflict Resolution, 57(3): 387-409.
- 2012. Ruggeri, Andrea. “Gramsci's Persuaders: Studying Collective Mobilization“,International Studies Review, 14: 677-681.
- 2012. Ruggeri, Andrea and Burgoon, Brian. “Human Rights “Naming & Shaming” and Civil War Violence”, Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy, 18(3):1-12.
- 2012. Bove, Vincenzo and Ruggeri, Andrea. “NEPS Proceedings: Introduction”, Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy. 18(3): 1-4
- 2011. Ruggeri, Andrea; Gizelis, Ismene and Dorussen, Han. “Event data as Bismarck’s sausages? Intercoder Reliability, Coders Selection and Data Quality”, International Interactions, 37(3): 340-36.
- 2010. Gleditsch, Kristian Skrede and Ruggeri, Andrea. “Political Opportunity Structures, Democracy, and Civil War” Journal of Peace Research, May 47(3): 299-310.
- Forthcoming. McCauley Adam and Ruggeri Andrea. “Formulating Research Questions & Designing Research Projects in International Relations”in Luigi Curini and Rob Franzese (eds.)The Handbook of Research Methods in Political Science and International Relations, Sage: London.
- 2018. Maline Meiske and Andrea Ruggeri. “Peacekeeping as Foreign Policy Tool” inOxford Encyclopaedia of International Relations, Oxford University Press: New York & Oxford.
- 2018. Jessica Di Salvatore and Andrea Ruggeri. “Peacekeeping Effectiveness” in Oxford Encyclopaedia of Empirical International Relations, Oxford University Press: New York & Oxford.
- 2014 Burgoon, Burgoon; Ruggeri, Andrea and Manikkalingam ,Ram. “Human Rights Promotion, the Media and Peacemaking in Africa”, in Carsten de Dreu (ed.) Conflicts Within and Between Groups: Functions, Dynamics and Interventions , Taylor & Francis.
- 2012. Metternich, Nils; Gleditsch, Kristian; Dorussen, Han and Ruggeri, Andrea. “International Dimension of International Conflict”, in Elgar Companion to Civil War and Fragile States. Edited by Graham Brown and Arnim Langer.
- 2010. Ruggeri, Andrea. “Geografia Politica del Conflitto Libanese” [Political Geography of the Lebanese Conflict] in S. Costalli and F.Moro “Le Guerre dentro lo Stato” [Civil Wars] Milano, Italy: Vita e Pensiero.
- 2019 Persone e Mondi. Azioni individuali e ordine internazionale by Angelo Panebianco ( Il Mulino 2018), Quaderni di Scienza Politica
- 2018 Democracy and Displacement in Colombia's Civil War by Abbey Steele, (Cornell 2017), Journal of Politics
- 2010 The Causes of War, by David Sobek, Journal of Peace Research47(3)
- 2010 How Wars End, by Dan Reiter, Journal of Peace Research 47(3)
- 2009 Ending Wars, by Feargal Cochrane, Journal of Peace Research46(5)
- 2008 Inside Rebellion: The Politics of Insurgent, by Jeremy M. Weinstein, Political Studies Review6(2)
2019 Ruggeri, Andrea; Evi Koeker; Maline Meiske. “What is the state of UN data on peacekeeping?”, Folke Bernaddote Academy, Sweden
2019 Ruggeri , Andrea. “Security Stability: About what and for whom?”, NATO
2015 Ruggeri , Andrea. “Diversity in the composition of UN peacekeeping operations and mission performance”, Defence Economics, Ministry of Defence, UK
2013 Ruggeri, Andrea. “Political Entrepreneurs and Civil War”, Independent Social Research Foundation, United Kingdom
2010 Gleditsch, Kristian; Dorussen, Han; Metternich, Nils and Ruggeri, Andrea. “Transnational Dimensions and the Myth of Civil Wars as National Events”, PRIO, OSLO.