The Department of Politics and International Relations (DPIR) is keen to support applications from early career scholars who have recently completed their doctorate, or are in its final stages, both from the UK and internationally. The applicant’s research area should be within the scope of the Department’s expertise.
To be considered for DPIR support with any post-doctoral funding schemes, all potential applicants (internal or external) must submit an application for internal review.
Please note, applicants need to contact at least one member of DPIR’s permanent academic staff to explore mentoring arrangements prior to submitting an application for internal review.
How to submit an application
Please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Your subject line should read ’Postdoc internal review: [your name]’.
- Draft research proposal, maximum of 4 sides of A4, including:
- Abstract (1 paragraph)
- Aims and objectives (1/2 A4 page)
- Case of support (2 A4 pages)
- Methods (1 A4 page)
- Outcomes and outputs (1/2 A4 page)
- Name and deadline of the scheme(s) you wish to be considered for
- Statement of how you meet the scheme(s) eligibility criteria
- Name and email address of the proposed DPIR academic mentor
For the following funding schemes, which are very popular and highly competitive, we have annual internal review deadlines.
All potential applicants to these schemes must submit an application for internal review by the following DPIR deadlines, regardless of the scheme’s own deadline:
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships - Deadline: 9am, 1 July
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships - Deadline: 9am, 1 November
- ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowships - Deadline: 9am, 7 January
Other schemes such as the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships are considered at DPIR’s discretion and are subject to an internal review process, which falls outside the deadlines listed above. To be considered for DPIR support, please contact the research support team at least 8 weeks before any external funding deadline.
Further support and information
DPIR’s research support team host post-doctoral funding information workshops for potential applicants (internal and external) twice a year. All potential applicants are encouraged to attend these workshops prior to submitting an application for internal review. For more information, please email email@example.com
Some postdoctoral fellows come to us as visitors, if you are interested in this please see our Academic Visitor Scheme for further details.